Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dear Africa...

Dear African heat,

Today you beat me to the ground. Literally.

First, I woke up this morning two hours early because your stinkin’ temperature made it too uncomfortable to sleep.

Then, I was so tired from waking up before the crack of dawn (and had plent-ay of time) that I made instant iced coffee. You knew that would dehydrate me. And I walked around woozy at school despite downing many a nalgene bottle.

And THEN, when I got home, my filtered water spout had only the tiniest drip coming out of it, probably because the gardeners were out and about watering the veggie gardens you dried out . Also, I burnt just about every finger trying to light the stove …that part’s not your fault but whatever.

Clever of you to make the power go out for a longer amount of time today, so that the fans weren’t working, so that I would feel you more.

Way to then trick me into thinking I would be fine because, even though it was constant, I was only sweating a little.

All this led to your real victory when I got up from my chair and splatted on the ground in a dizzy spell, which you’ve pulled on me many times before, but this time blacked out and woke up with my friend freaking out and asking if I was alive (even though she is a medical student and was hopefully aware that I was still alive).

Dang you, African heat. Today you win. But I’ve already chugged a nalgene and placed a full water container in my fridge. Let’s just say, I’m so ready to own you tomorrow.

Bring it,
Jenny

P.s: Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of the paper fan I just made.


2 Corinthians 12:30. If I must boast, I  will boast of the things that show my weakness.  
…but it’s still on, Africa.

1 comment:

  1. This is what I got out of this post:

    Also, I burnt just about every finger trying to light the stove …that part’s not your fault but whatever.


    glad to hear you're still the jenny i know and love

    ReplyDelete